If you are visiting this page, you probably need help resolving a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) or another tax authority. You face a confusing array of choices: a tax lawyer, a CPA, a national tax resolution service or the company that prepared your tax return.
The outcome of your case can affect your finances, your assets and your business for years to come. It could also determine whether or not you face criminal tax charges. When you have this much at stake, it’s important to make your choice carefully.
There are many reasons why you should hire a tax lawyer. Here are just a few:
- We understand tax law. Only an attorney can advise you about the law. Since tax law changes constantly, it’s important to select an attorney who focuses on tax law.
- We offer attorney-client confidentiality. When you hire an attorney, you are protected by the attorney-client privilege. This is not the case if you hire a CPA or accounting firm.
- We can protect you from criminal tax charges. If you face criminal tax charges, an accountant will not be able to help you. In fact, he or she may be compelled to testify against you.
- We understand your options. Our lawyers understand the policies and procedures of the IRS, FTB and other tax authorities — in most cases, better than the employees who work for those agencies.
- We won’t overpromise. As attorneys, we have a legal duty to act in your best interests. We are bound by ethical rules that prevent us from making promises we can’t keep.
- We can take your dispute as far as it needs to go. Some services do little more than write letters on your behalf. Only a tax attorney can take your case to court if the tax authority refuses to negotiate.
Allen Barron, Inc. and Janathan L. Allen, APC form a single trusted source of help with tax and accounting issues. With offices in San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Phoenix, we represent clients throughout California and nationwide. Call 866-631-3470 or complete our simple contact form for a free and confidential initial consultation.