If you never filed a 2008 tax return, you may still be eligible for a tax refund, but it’s important to get professional tax return help before attempting to navigate the complex system of tax codes and laws. According to a recent article in the Sacramento Bee, having neglected to file a 2008 return shouldn’t disqualify you for the refund. Countless taxpayers in San Diego and throughout California may qualify. Although the Internal Revenue Service doesn’t go out of its way to advertise this fact, taxpayers technically have three years from the initial filing year to claim refunds on unfiled tax returns. As long as there is a refund and not a debt, the taxpayer isn’t even required to pay any fees to claim the old refund.

Find Out if you’re Eligible and Act Fast

If you think you may qualify for a 2008 refund, it would be in your best interest to work with a tax consultant who understands the latest developments in the federal, state and local tax codes and all the associated laws. You will have to file two returns, both for 2008 and 2011, so it will be doubly complicated this year. Having a professional by your side will help ensure that this somewhat messy process goes as smoothly as possible. It’s also important that you act fast to claim any 2008 refunds that you are eligible for. You only have until April 17, 2011, this year’s tax deadline, to file a 2008 return and claim the refund that was originally owed to you. The IRS gives taxpayers a maximum of three years to claim their refunds, after which the funds will go back to the United States Treasury.

The Internal Revenue Service is currently sitting on more than $1 billion in unclaimed tax refunds, some of which might be yours if you have unfiled returns. The Sacramento Bee estimates that as many as 122,500 Californians didn’t file their taxes in 2008, and that the median potential refund for these folks is approximately $595. This is in addition to earned income tax credits and/or recovery rebate credits, which many taxpayers were eligible for in 2008. If the government owes you money, a tax consultant can help you claim it without any problems, as long as you take action now. Please give us a call today at 866-631-3470 to schedule a complimentary initial consultation with one of our tax professionals.


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.

Contact an Estate Planning, Business Law Or Tax Attorney Today

To set up a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our knowledgeable San Diego based estate planning, business and tax lawyers, or learn more about our tax preparation, accounting and business advisory services call us at 866-631-3470 or contact us.